Maybe more good news?

The biggest news today came on the way home from the plastic surgeon. Dr. Lilly called to let us know that the full pathology report is back from Riverside. He said he had 3 pathologists examined my original biopsy slides including the head of the department. They all agree that they disagree with the diagnosis given by Mount Carmel. They did not find any cancer in the biopsy slides. Also, the images seen on mammogram, ulrasound and MRI do not indicate that I have cancer. Yeah, I’m just as confused as you are. He did say that the biopsy shows some atypical areas which means precancerous. Because of that information we have decided to proceed with a lumpectomy on Monday morning. The only way to know for sure what is going on in there is to take it out and test the whole thing.
Dr. Lilly said that there is a 50% chance that they will find some cancer once they get the whole thing out. He did say, however, that it would likely be lower stage than originally thought. My original diagnosis of Invasive Ductal Carcinoma will possibly be downgraded to Ductal Carcinoma In Situ and there is a possibility that there will be no cancer at all.  I’m not banking on the last option since I feel there is a reason Mount Carmel said I have cancer and I can’t let that go unless I get a good explanation. But, even a diagnosis of DCIS would be better than the IDC diagnosis. With the size of the area affected I would probably be stage 2 with IDC but a DCIS would likely make it stage 0. That would still be cancer but even smaller and less of a worry.  At this point I’m very hopeful to avoid chemo and maybe even radiation.
The other factor is the BRCA genetic testing. Results are still out on this. I won’t hear about this until next week. We have our Second Opinion Clinic scheduled for Wednesday afternoon and I hope to have all the answers by then. If the lumpectomy pathology results show cancer or if the BRCA is positive then even with the previous lumpectomy we may proceed with a mastectomy. Although, if the cancer is small enough and low enough grade/stage that I do not need radiation then I may postpone and opt for a prophylactic mastectomy at a later date if risk/genetic factors indicate a need.  If I do need radiation then… I don’t know.  I’m tired of guessing. I’m just going to have to wait it out. Again. We should know by Tuesday or Wednesday what exactly we are dealing with and then maybe we can make a plan for treatment. We are still waiting on the ovarian cyst surgery. The gynecologist is willing to be more aggressive with the surgery but at this point I’m hoping to keep my girlie parts at least for the next few years. We have to have the cyst out and since we are moving forward quickly with the lumpectomy we won’t be able to do the surgeries at the same time. I’d also like to have results from genetic testing before making a decision on that. We’ll have to schedule a second surgery date but hopefully it will be minor.
Advertisements

Posted on July 28, 2011, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: